Thursday, October 22, 2015

A Brief Introduction: My Mid-Life Crises Theory


When young, people ask what you want to be when you grow up.  The possibilities have no limits when your age is in the single digits.  Becoming an astronaut seems no more difficult than working as a burger flipper at McDonalds.

As time and circumstance happen to everyone, the possibilities narrow.  Decisions are made that set a person on a path that becomes harder and harder to change.  Choosing a college, a major, a career and a spouse begin to cast the mold of a person’s life.

Now consider my mid-life crises theory:  Once we reach the approximate mid-point of our life, our brains begin to weigh the aspirations we had when young to how things are actually turning out.  Many of us discover that we didn’t become the astronaut who travels to the moon.  Instead, we drive an economical car to a generic office building and sit in a small cubicle typing on our computers.

Sometimes this can lead to changing our course is some shape or form.   Maybe it is buying the uneconomical sports car.  Or maybe it is changing jobs or going back to school.  Whatever the change, it affords the feeling of having some semblance of control still -- that maybe there are still endless possibilities.

As I approached middle age, I made several such course corrections.  For the most part, I was happy with my life.  However, unexpected life events can result in unforeseen changes.  This is what happened to me.  After working over 17 years for one of the largest financial institutions in the country, I saw the writing on the wall.  The company was outsourcing its information systems at a quickening pace.  People I had worked with for years were let go.  Soon, I was the only original member left on my team.

To prepare for the inevitable, I retired from the National Guard.  I knew from watching other Soldiers how hard it can be looking for a job when a potential employer knows that you can be called away from work.  I also knew it was time to refresh the schooling on my resume.  Consequently, I enrolled in the Master’s in MIS online program at the University of Arizona (UA).

As anticipated, I was told that I could either transfer to Ohio to continue my employment or take a severance.  My decision was to part ways and chart a new course.   With the money from my severance, and with the help of the G.I. Bill, I focused on my degree.  After graduation, I will see what new opportunities I can find.

The “Business Intelligence” named in the blog title represents one of my last two classes.  If all goes as planned, I will be graduating this December.  This blog will contain my thoughts and observations on topics covered in class over the next seven weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment